So, as much as I wish we could be all radiation-free and warm up our food old-school style in cast iron pots on top of wood burning fires, it’s just not practical anymore (for everyday use).
Thus, like any other human being, we rely on microwaves. And so, I am sure at one point or another, the following has happened to you (who thought beans could literally explode in the microwave or maybe I’m just stupid and should know better):
So, when the above happened, I was so excited.
Then, I remembered a recipe that could help me clean this up fairly quickly. So, this post is going to give out some practical wisdom on how to recover from the above and complete this tedious task in less than 10 minutes (without harsh chemicals). I love going green and cleaning a microwave is really adulting 101, so you should probably want to figure out how to do this by now (if you haven’t already done so).
1 | Place a microwave-safe bowl with the following mixture:
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of vinegar
- Chopped up lime, lemon, or orange
2 | Turn your microwave on high for 10 minutes.
- Signs to look out for: mixture boils or the window gets steamy
3 | Carefully remove HOT bowl with oven mittens.
- Dump out mixture in drain or pour it all around the inside of your sink to kill bacteria.
4 | The mixture will essentially de-gunk and soften up any food-splatter for easy wiping.
- Yes, no more excessive scrubbing until your hands hurt!
5 | Wipe down insides and window with microfiber cloth.
- For a streak-fee, brand-new look.
6 | Always keep food covered starting NOW!
- Use microwave-safe ceramic plates or tops, not the plastic ones as they leach chemicals into your food!
- This prevents the above mess from ever forming in the first place and then, you don’t even have to clean your microwave at all really, maybe just a quick touch up every few months.
- Your microwave will no longer look disgusting and you’ll be less embarrassed when guests have to use it.
Woolah, you have a clean, shiny microwave without loads of chemical or commercial bottle cleaning clutter!
Super easy right? Who would of thought reading a post about microwave cleaning could be this amazing and fun. And, we did this all without an expensive, chemically smelly, bad for planet and living things bottle of Lysol. Kudos for being an adult and choosing to go green (even if may very well only be for 10 minutes). Still want to squeeze in some more tips on how to live a more eco-friendly lifestyle? Awesome! Click here.